06/07/2002 AT 1:00 AM ET
Winona Ryder will have her day in court. At a preliminary hearing Thursday, Los Angeles County Court Judge Elden S. Fox refused to reduce the counts against her to misdemeanors and ordered the 30-year-old “Girl, Interrupted” star to stand trial on charges of shoplifting and possession of a drug without a prescription, reports Reuters. She faces four felony charges of grand theft, burglary, vandalism and possession of a controlled substance stemming from her Dec. 12 arrest outside Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills, where she allegedly stole about $5,000 worth of merchandise. The jurist’s decision followed testimony by Saks security chief Kenneth Evans, who said he had mistaken Ryder for a homeless person when he first saw her on a surveillance camera and that six anti-theft sensor tags, removed from the merchandise, were later found hidden in the store the day after Ryder’s arrest. Reuters reports that Ryder listened to Evans’s details as she sat in the courtroom with her right arm in a sling (though not in a cast, noted the Associated Press). Her lawyer Mark Geragos had claimed that she had fractured her arm in a scuffle with press photographers when she entered the court Monday. At Thursday’s hearing, Geragos grilled Evans, insisting that Ryder had been targeted by the department store. “You knew from Day One that it was Winona Ryder, and you wanted to bust her for shoplifting, didn’t you?” the defense attorney asked. “No,” replied Evans. In response to Evans’s testimony that Ryder left Saks with no receipts for several of the 21 items recovered by store detectives, Geragos presented the judge with two receipts totaling $3,675. But, reports Reuters, Evans said the receipts did not correspond to many of the items in Ryder’s possession at the time she was arrested.