02/19/2009 AT 7:00 AM ET
30 Rock creator Tina Fey couldn’t have imagined a crazier scenario: Tracy Morgan blames a faulty fish tank light for igniting a fire Wednesday morning in his Manhattan Trump Plaza apartment, but no one was hurt – not even the shark or piranha in the tank, say news reports.
“My thanks to the New York Fire Department for their quick action,” Morgan, 40, said in a statement after the smoke had cleared. “Fortunately, the fire did not spread and no one in the building was hurt. Even the fish are okay.”
In all, reports MSNBC, 78 firefighters from 25 units responded to the blaze, which set off sprinklers on the 16th floor of the building, where Morgan lives, as well as on other floors.
The View co-host Sherri Shepherd, who happens to live in the same building and plays the wife of Morgan character’s on 30 Rock, said on The View Wednesday that her nanny called and let her know that her floor had flooded.
– Stephen M. Silverman