updated 10/25/2007 AT 7:00 AM ET
•originally published 10/25/2007 AT 8:00 AM ET
Sean “Diddy wants to set the record straight on claims he assaulted a man at a New York City nightclub earlier this month.
“It was something that was just totally overblown … I don’t fight over girls!” Combs said Wednesday, referring to a altercation Oct. 13 in a downtown Manhattan club, where Steven Acevedo, 31, accused Combs, 37, of punching him twice in the face.
“I got into an argument, I am a human being. I am going to get into an argument,” Combs told Access Hollywood. “I am making no denial about that, but I did not punch anybody.”
Diddy, speaking at a news conference to announce a partnership with Ciroc Vodka, also gave an update on the legal progress in the case.
“They looked into it,” Combs said. “There are so many other things going on in the city.”
Earlier this month, a source told PEOPLE that Combs and Acevedo have known each other for more than 10 years, and said reports that the disagreement was over a woman were not true.
The hip hop mogul – whose vodka deal could be worth $100 million down the road – says he takes the rumors and accusations in stride.
“I’m staying focused on being a role model and you know, being somebody that all my grandmas and aunties out there can be proud of and tell their kids to look up to you, know what I’m saying,” he added. “I mean it is a part of celebrity … but it just wasn’t true.”